Saturday, October 13, 2007

Symbiosis

Symbiosis, def : various degrees of close relationship between organisms of different species, in which at least one organism benefits.

Some time earlier this year, I had gone with a friend to one of mumbai's nondescript restaurants for a quick lunch. We ordered and sat down to wait when I noticed a mouse climbing one of the tables. A huge fuss was made.Words like 'Hygiene' , 'cleanliness' , 'food inspector' , 'legal action', 'shame on you' , 'sorry' , 'reimbursement' were exchanged loudly.

Cut to Chhattisgarh , lunch with a colleague in one of the fanciest restaurants of the place..a mouse casually climbed onto the empty table next to ours and sat there majestically, flashing his moustache at us. I half willingly looked around for the waiter, who smiled sleepily back. I just broke a small piece of food from my plate and gave it to the mouse, no quetions asked.

In this place where a lunch..any lunch at all, is sometimes doubtful, one just learns to exist in harmony with brothers of other species.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is what u call life,
and believe me dude, the lessons that u are or will learn here wld far more valuable than ur stint at the b-school....

richforthestars said...

New aged Pied Piper

Anonymous said...

Wow yaar, you sarcasm is matching Upamanyu Chatterjee who said in 'English August'....

At communal harmony meet when he looked at Stale Samosa, a voice from it said "Hi, I am cholera, who are you !"

Shankster said...

Heha yea bud, thats the Chatterji Im thanking in the 'about me' after sayin Im getting 'hazaar fucked' here :)
Man it was almost like you predicted my life and gave it to me in print..Eerie!!

Unknown said...

simple yet hard-hitting. gotta be my fav :)